Knightsbridge showing the Fulham Road and Sloane Street
Draughtsman: Salway, Joseph
Medium: Lithograph, coloured
During the 18th century, a system of paid watchmen and constables was introduced to police the area replacing the ancient system of parish watch. A watch house is indicated at the junction of Kightsbridge and the Fulham Road, today's Brompton Road. This was the ancient track to the village of Brompton. Sloane Street, connecting Knightsbridge to Sloane Square, is indicated as a dirt track. Planned by Henry Holland, the road was built in 1780. On the north side of the road, terraced houses and private gardens are shown in plan form and elevation revealing the formal designs of lawns and cobblestone paths.