Knightsbridge showing Hyde Park Sheet 6
Draughtsman: Salway, Joseph
Medium: Lithograph, coloured
Hyde Park, depicted here on the north side of the turnpike road was the largest of all the Royal parks, extending over 340 acres of land. It was originally a hunting ground for deer, boars and wild bull. Bequeathed to the monks of Westminster after the conquest of Geoffrey de Mandeville in the 1140s, the park was appropriated by Henry VIII at the dissolution of the monasteries in 1536. The park was opened to the public at the beginning of the 17th century and deer were hunted there until 1768.