Kensington High Street showing the Charity School
Draughtsman: Salway, Joseph
Medium: Lithograph, coloured
During the 18th century, a number of private schools opened in the many large houses available in Kensington. St Mary Abbott School, or Charity School, is depicted here on the north side of the road. The school was built by John Vanbrugh in 1711-12, after Roger Pimble left two houses in High Street Kensington "for the maintenance of a free school for poor men's children" in 1645. Over the years, other benefactors left legacies and gifts to the Charity School.