Knightsbridge showing the Horse Barracks Sheet 4-A
Draughtsman: Salway, Joseph
Medium: Lithograph, coloured
The Horse Guard Barracks, depicted here on the north side of Knightsbridge, were built shortly after the French Revolution, at the end of the 18th century, when the authorities feared insurrections at home. The barracks housed 600 men in the Household Cavalry and 500 horses. By the 1870s the barracks, considered too cramped and dilapidated, were pulled down and replaced by new buildings designed by Wyatt in 1880. In 1959 these were further replaced by Basil Spence's 270 feet high tower block.