Kensington Gardens, Palace Gate
Draughtsman: Salway, Joseph
Medium: Lithograph, coloured
The gated entrance to Kensington Palace and Gardens is shown in plan form and in elevation on this sheet. Kensington Gardens was originally attached to Nottingham House, which was bought by William III in 1689 and turned into Kensington Palace. Queen Mary took a great interest in the gardens and had them landscaped by royal gardeners in formal Dutch patterns. Uprooted by order of Queen Anne at the beginning of the 18th century, the Dutch gardens were replaced in 1726 by Wise and Bridgeman's design, which included the round pond, the Broad Walk and the Temple Lodge. On the south side of the road, a milestones indicates a distance of one and a half miles to Hyde Park Corner.