A Plan of the New Gun Wharfe near Plymouth
Medium: Ink on paper
Birds eye view of the gun wharf in Plymouth. A wet and dry dock was first built in Davenport in 1694, and it quickly grew with the construction of workshops and stores. The dock became known as the South Yard. A gun wharf had been built at Mount Wise to test the ship’s guns as well as for storage and maintenance however by 1717 it was felt that it was too small and the Navy leased land adjoining the dockyard at Davenport. The new wharf was called Morice Yard after Sir Nicholas Morice from whom the land had been leased. A Mr Crowley of London was the appointed architect and by 1724 the gun wharf was partly operational.