A view of Stockton in the County of Durham, taken from the North End of the Town
Engraver: Caldwall, J.
View of the High Street of the market town of Stockton, which used to be in County Durham. By the late 18th century it was a modest market town with a prosperous coastal trade. Its main industries were shipbuilding and iron working. During the 19th century it became a centre of heavy industry. To the left is The Parish Church of Stockton. It opened in 1712 and Stockton became the centre of a new parish. This view shows it was made of red brick with edging stones known as quoins and the square west tower is crowned with short obelisk pinnacles. In the centre of the high street is the Town House, which was built in 1734. The weekly markets were held around the Town House, which was an administrative centre. It is 5 bays wide with a hipped roof and tower.