An East View of the Square at Stockton, with the improvements taken from the Church Gates
Engraver: Jeakes, J.
Medium: Aquatint with etching, coloured
View of a housing built around a square in the town of Stockton, formerly in County Durham. It is located nearby the parish church. By the late 18th century Stockton was a modest market town with a prosperous coastal trade. Its main industries were shipbuilding and iron working. During the 18th century there were a number of improvements, a new church in 1712, a town house in 1734, a wide paved high street and several new streets laid out.