A View of Harwich
View of the town of Harwich in Essex. Harwich was developed in around 1150, (then known as Herwyz or Herewyk) and due to its location on the east coat of England and on the estuary of the rivers Orwell and Stour, it quickly became a thriving port. A key below the engraving identifies buildings such as the Lighthouse, Town Hall and the Gate. The Lighthouse was designed by Asher Alexander and was built in 1818. It stands to a height of 90 feet, is polygonal and built of white brick.