Abbey Mill on the Road to Westham, Essex
Engraver: Laurie, R.
View of the Abbey Mill in the parish of West Ham. This was a windmill on a small island in the Channelsea River. There is a long tradition of milling in the manor of Ham. The Domesday Book records 8 water mills in the vicinity and by the 18th century, corn was brought from Essex to watermills and windmills in the area. This particular mill was owned by Barking Abbey and then given to Stratford Abbey, who retained it until its disolution and then after that it was owned by several private individuals. The Abbey Mill was rebuilt in 1768, at a cost of £7,676, but unfortunately burned down in 1862.