An Inward Door and Door Case of one of the Magazines at Purfleet, showing the Copper and Nails
Medium: Ink on paper
Plan of the door of the gunpowder magazine at Purfleet in Essex. Five gunpowder magazines were erected in Purfleet in about 1760, each measuring approximately 140ft by 20ft. Each building was divided into two rooms in which the gunpowder was stored. Approximately ten thousand barrels of gunpowder could be stored in each magazine and there were very strict rules for the construction of a magazine so that the danger of an accident was minimised. The doors were usually lined with material such as copper because copper is less likely to cause a spark which could cause the gunpowder to explode.