A North West View of Walthamstow Church
Engraver: Laurie, R.
View of the church of St Mary and St Stephen in Walthamstow in Essex. This is a fairly large parish church which was rebuilt in c.1535 by Sir George Monox, the parish benefactor who was a draper and became Lord Mayor of London in 1514. Very little of the pre-Reformation Church survives. Walthamstow in the late 18th century was a village surrounded by Essex marshland. In the 19th century it's population increased drastically and it became a industrialised part of London.