A Prospect of God's House from Wimbledon's Bastion at Portsmouth 1717
Artist: [Turner, John]
Medium: Pen and ink on paper
This prospect is of the Royal Garrison church, also known as Domus Dei ('God's House'). It was founded in 1212 by Peter de Rupibus, the Bishop of Winchester, as a hospital for pilgrims. The original building was a long vaulted hall with a chapel at one end. After Henry VIII's dissolution of religious houses, the governor of Portsmouth used the secular buildings to the south of Domus Dei as his residence. Charles II married Catherine of Braganza in 1662 in the chapel.