A South East View of the remains of King John's Palace at Eltham, Kent
Artist and engraver: Sandby, Paul
Medium: Aquatint with etching
This former royal manor house was developed into a magnificent palace during the 15th and 16th centuries. It became known as King John's palace after John II of France was held captive here by Edward III.
Henry VIII was a frequent resident and issued his Eltham Ordnances from here in 1525. Daniel Defoe commented in the 1720's: "Queen Elizabeth was often carry'd, as they say, to Eltham by her nurses to suck in the wholesome air of that agreeable place; but at present there are few or no signs of the old palace to be seen."