A South View of the Town & Castle of Lancaster
Engraver: Bluck, J.
Medium: Aquatint, coloured
This south view of the town and castle of Lancaster also shows the Westmorland and Cumberland Mountains, part of the River Lune and the Furness coast in the background. Daniel Defoe visited here in the early 18th century and commented Lancaster was 'situate near the mouth of the River Lone or Lune. The town is antient; it lies as it were, in its own ruins, and has little to recommend it but a decayed castle, and a more decayed port (for no ships of any considerable burthen); the bridge is handsome and strong, but as before, here is little or no trade, and few people'. However by the late 18th century, Lancaster had some town improvements including a assembly rooms, a custom house, a new town hall, a theatre. It was engraved from a drawing which was presented to George III by the County Palatine of Lancaster. The artist and publisher was Robert Freebairn (1764-1808). In 1782, he entered the Royal Academy Schools, but soon after left to work and study in Italy for 10 years. He was one of the first Associates of the Old Society of Painters in Watercolours which was established in 1804.