A South View of the Gateway Tower of Lancaster Castle
Engraver: Bluck, J.
Medium: Aquatint with etching, coloured
The Gateway Tower of Lancaster Castle is also known as John of Gaunt's tower. However it was not in fact built by him. The heraldry on the tower and the royal accounts suggest it was built between 1403-1413, in the end of Henry IV's reign and beginning of Henry V's reign. The results are impressive as it is one of the finest examples of it type. It has two octagonal flanking towers and battlements with parapets. Behind are square stair turrets. This view was engraved from a drawing which was presented to George III by the County Palatine of Lancaster. The artist and publisher was Robert Freebairn (1764-1808). In 1782, he entered the Royal Academy Schools, but soon after left to work and study in Italy for 10 years. He was one of the first Associates of the Old Society of Painters in Watercolours which was established in 1804.