A View of the Town and Harbour of Liverpool
Engraver: Bennett, W. J.
Medium: Aquatint, coloured
View from the Wirral side of the Mersey, of the town and harbour of Liverpool. It is quite detailed and some individual buildings can be seen including the domes of the Town Hall , built c.1749 and St Paul's Church, built in c.1769 and also the distinctive spire of St George, which was consecrated in 1734. There were a number of docks and warehouses along the waterfront. the first in c.1709-21, Salthouse Dock in 1734, Canning Dock in 1753, George's Dock in 1767, Duke's Dock in 1773, the King's Dock 1784, the Manchester Dock of c.1785. Liverpool attracted ships from Ireland, the Mediterranean, Africa, the West Indies.