A View in Castle Street in Liverpool
Engraver: Green, Wm.
View from where Pool Lane meets Castle Street in Liverpool. The church is St Georges, situated on rising ground between the end of Pool Lane and commencement of Castle Street. It was consecrated in 1734. A guide of 1810 praises it 'in every part of this edifice the marks of taste and elegance are sufficiently evident'. However it criticises the disproportionate largeness of the windows. In the distance, at the north end of Castle Street is the Town Hall, which was built in 1749-54 by John Wood of Bath, although the dome was added by James Wyatt later.