A View of Castle Street in Liverpool 76o
Engraver: Malton, T.
View of Castle Street in Liverpool from the end of Pool Lane. Castle Street is one of the original streets of old Liverpool. Pool Lane lead to the Old Docks. In this picture, at the far end of Castle Street is the town hall, built in 1749-54 by John Wood of Bath. On the corner is St George's Church, which was consecrated in 1734. This was built on the site of the old castle of Liverpool, which was demolished by the town authorities some time between 1718-1726. The church was designed by Thomas Steers, engineer of the first dock. It had a square steeple with octagonal spire (although the spire was later found to have structure problems). There are huge arched windows, which were thought to be rather out of proportion. Underneath the church there was a terrace, supported by rustic arches. As can be seen in this print, underneath the arches was convenient spot for market people to shelter.