A view of Blackwall with part of the Dock Yard
Artist and engraver: Dodd, R.
Medium: Aquatint with etching, coloured
A note explains " Blackwall is the most eminent place on the River Thames for Building & equipping Ships, for the service of the East India Company. The Dockyard has been considered as the East India Yard, from the year 1603, and is at this time more capacious than any other private yard in the Kingdom, or probably the world, having 7 launches, fit for Line of Battle Ships and many have been built there from the Year 1654, to the Year 1784, when four ships of 74 Guns each, two of 44 Guns, an East India Ship and a West India Ship, were upon the stocks together. There is also dry Docks for four large ships, a Wet Dock, Mast Houses, Store houses and every other convenience and an Extensive Rope Walk adjoining to it".