A View of London from near the Adelphi
Engraver: Havell, D.
Medium: Aquatint, coloured
View showing the 9 granite arches of Waterloo Bridge, which linked Somerset House and the Adelphi with the Southwark side of the river. At the time of this print in 1815 it was still being built. It was designed by architect John Rennie. The bridge was opened by the Prince Regent on the second anniversary of the battle of Waterloo. It was originally called Strand Bridge but a 1816 Act of Parliament changed its name to Waterloo in 'remembrance of great and glorious achievements'. To the far left is the Adelphi. The Adelphi was a grand terraced housing development built on the edge of the Thames by the John, Robert, James and William Adam during the 1770s. It was subsequently altered many times and demolished. In the distance is Blackfriars Bridge and St Paul's Cathedral.