A bird's eye view of Covent Garden Market
Engraver: Bluck, J.
Medium: Aquatint with etching, coloured
View of Covent Garden, the main fruit, flower and vegetable market in London in the early 19th century. The market began here in 1656 with a few temporary stalls in the back garden of the home of the Earl of Bedford. Charles II granted the market lease, which in 1678 was bought by Adam Piggot and others who had the right to built permanent stalls against the garden wall selling fruits, flowers, roots and herbs. However the market did not become popular until its rival, the Stocks Market closed in1737. As this view of 1811 shows it had become increasingly congested, noisy and smelly. In the far end of the square is St Paul's Church.