A Geometrical Elevation of the North Front of St Peter's, Westminster from actual measurements
Artist and engraver: Middleton, Charles
Medium: Aquatint with etching
Elevation of the north front of St Peter's Church in Westminster, also known as Westminster Abbey. It was founded as a monastic house by Edward the Confessor and consecrated in 1065. This saintly association meant the abbey was showered with gifts of land, and the building was beautified by medieval kings (as well as becoming the Royal burial place). It was rebuilt in the thirteenth century in the French gothic style - with a nave of great height, flying buttresses and rose windows. The monastery was dissolved in 1540 and the Abbey became the cathedral of the new diocese of Westminster. The cathedral has been repaired many times - particularly by Christopher Wren and Nicholas Hawksmoor. From 1698-1723, Christopher Wren worked as Surveyor of Westminster Abbey and in addition to making repairs, built the west towers.