A View of the Horseguards from Whitehall
Engraver: Stadler, J. C.
Medium: Aquatint, coloured
View of the Horse guards' headquarter in Whitehall. A small guardhouse was established here in 1649, on the grounds of the former royal tiltyard of Whitehall Palace. A larger building was erected in 1663-5. However the building in this view was built between 1750-8 and designed in the Palladian style by William Kent. After Kent's premature death, the building of Kent's design was left to John Vardy to complete. Also in this view, is a stage coach on the way to Charing Cross.