A perspective view of the revolving Temple of Concord
Engraver: Smart, RW
Medium: Aquatint, coloured
The revolving Temple was erected for the 1814 celebrations marking the end of the war with France. It was revealed to the public after an impressive fireworks display. The baroque structure was garishly lit and lavishly decorated, particularly with patriotic allegorical scenes celebrating "The Triumph of England under the Regency". The building was the work of Sir William Congreve, a military officer and Comptroller of the Royal Laboratory at Woolwich.