Ackermann's Repository of Arts, 101 Strand
Medium: Aquatint with etching, coloured
Inside of Rudolph Ackermann's famous Repository of Arts which was located at 101 The Strand. He moved here from Pall Mall in 1794, opening a school of drawing and a gallery selling prints and books. In 1806 he closed the school, to concentrate on his more successful role as print seller, book seller, publisher and dealer in art materials. He is known for employing the finest engravers of the period to work for him, such as Sutherland, Bluck and Havell who worked on drawings by Thomas Rowlandson, Augustus Pugin, Frederick Nash and William Westrall. Between 1808-1818 he began to publish a series of books illustrated with high quality coloured aquatints, most of which were a great success such as a 'Microcosm of London' of 1810. In this view by Rowlandson and Pugin, Pugin was an excellent draughtsman of buildings while Rowlandson was used to draw people.