A View of Hackney Church from Pigwell
Artist and engraver: Howorth, E.
Hackney used to be a small village with buildings scattered along the road from Mile End. Eighteenth century Hackney was considered an agreeable and rural place, by Londoners who wanted to escape the city. This view shows the fine old tower of the original parish church of St Augustine in Hackney. The rest of the old church was taken down in 1798, and a new church of St John was erected in the same church yard.