A View from the Left of the First Bridge at Paddington
Engraver: Jeakes, J.
One of four views on the Paddington Canal by Jeakes and Milbourne. This view shows crowds at the first bridge and barges on the canal. The Paddington to Uxbridge section of the Grand Junction Canal was first opened in 1801. It was later connected to the main Grand Junction Canal (direct canal from Midlands to London) and the Regent's Canal. As can be seen in this print, canal boats carried not only goods but passengers, often taking city dwellers on country excursions.