A general view of the new barracks on Hounslow Heath for the light horse
These cavalry barracks in Beavers Lane were begun in 1793, part of a series of new barracks built in the shadow of the Napoleonic wars. It has a tidy plan with three main buildings arranged at right angles around a parade ground - typical of 18th-century barracks. The central block, as can be seen in the drawing, is built of yellow stock brick and topped by a pediment. On either side there is a long block housing stables and dormitories.