A view of Lord Paulett's house at Twickenham
Engraver: Wells, J
Medium: Pen and ink on paper
The village of Twickenham is located along the banks of an attractive stretch of the River Thames, upstream from the City of London. The river here is broad and gently bending and the riverbanks are dotted with mansions and cottages. This house looking directly out on to the river was the home of the third Earl Paulett, built in 1740/2 to replace a previous house destroyed by a fire. The building was remodelled by the earl between 1870 and 1872, and was eventually demolished in 1933.