A view of Bishops Bridge from the Ferry
Engraver: Alken Junr., S
Bishop's Bridge is the only surviving medieval bridge in Norwich. It was built in 1343 by Richard Spynk, situated at the end of Bishopsgate near the cathedral. The bridge is composed of three arches and the west side had a fortified gate until 1791. Norwich had substantial city walls - Daniel Defoe reckoned them to be "three miles in circumference taking in more ground than the city of London" although between 1791 and 1801 the gates in the walls were demolished to allow more room for traffic to enter the city. The river shown in the picture is the Wensum.