Alnwick Castle and gardens, from the south east
Engraver: Forster, J
Medium: Aquatint, coloured
South-east view of Alnwick Castle, the seat of the Duke of Northumberland.
Originally a simple motte-and-bailey castle, it was rebuilt in stone in the 12th century. Acquired by Henry Percy in 1309, the Percy family were responsible for maintaining and developing the castle. The castle was subject to intense restoration work in the 18th century, instigated by the 1st Duke of Northumberland and carried out in part by the architect Robert Adam. The famous landscape gardener Lancelot 'Capability' Brown was employed to landscape the parkland adjoining the castle grounds, creating the Alnwick Garden, which covered an area of approximately seven acres. Having fallen into disrepair during the 20th century, the Alnwick Gardens have been extensively restored in recent years, under a scheme sponsored by the Duchess of Northumberland.