A west view of Bridgewater Castle in Somersetshire
The castle pictured here in ruins was built in 1216 in the market town of Bridgwater. Most of it was demolished in 1660 and the site was redeveloped by the Duke of Chandos as King's Street, which, being close to the port, was filled with houses for merchants. The centre of the old castle is now marked by King's Square. The only surviving part is the Watergate arch.