A View of St Michael's chapel near Glastonbury
Artist: Lens, AB
Medium: Ink wash on paper
View of St Michael's chapel on Glastonbury Tor. This prehistoric mound was levelled off during the 10th or 11th century for the building of a large stone church, which was replaced in 1327 by the church seen here. By the time of this picture, however, only the tower remained of the chapel.
This was partly the result of the 1539 dissolution of Glastonbury abbey, which saw the chapel plundered for stone. It nevertheless remains an important landmark in the area. The artist is Andrew Benjamin Lens (c. 1713-c.1780), a member of the Lens painting dynasty, who produced many wash and watercolour landscapes in a similar style.