A view on Clapham Common
In the 18th century, Clapham was a village quite separate from London. The marshy land was drained in 1722 and planted with trees. The common came to be used for fairs, military encampments and for grazing swine. The building of terraces, residences and the Church of the Holy Trinity around the common began in the mid-18th century. The men who lived around the common were mostly wealthy city merchants.