A view in Kew Gardens of the Alhambra & Pagoda
Engraver: Schutz, H
Medium: Aquatint, coloured
View of Kew Gardens showing the ornamental pagoda, which was built as a surprise for Princess Augusta, mother of George III. Completed in 1762 to the design of Sir William Chambers, it followed an 18th-century fashion for garden ornaments, particularly in the Chinoiserie style. It is almost 50 metres high. The pagoda was originally flanked by a Turkish mosque and Alhambra, also designed by Chambers.