A View of Merton Church in the County of Surrey
Medium: Pen and ink on paper
South West View of St Mary's, the parish church of Merton. In the 18th century Merton was a village in the county of Surrey but in the 19th century, the suburban sprawl of London caught up with it and it is now part of greater London. This church was rebuilt between 1114-25 by Gilbert founder of Merton Priory. The nave is Norman and has a north door with a Norman zigzag pattern. The chancel is early 13th century.