Ancient font in Doncaster church, Yorkshire
Artist: Buckler, John
Langdale's 1882 Topographical Dictionary of Yorkshire states: "The Church is a very ancient structure, and was given to the abbey of St. Mary's, York; the chief relic contained in it is a Saxon font, still used for the purpose of baptism." St George's was the medieval parish church of Doncaster and was at the centre of the town. The original church was mostly destroyed by fire in 1853 and rebuilt by Sir Gilbert Scott.