A south prospect of Hull Garrison
Engraver: Maynard, W
Medium: Aquatint with etching
Built in 1681, the Hull Citadel (or Garrison) overlooked the confluence of the rivers Hull and Humber. Both sides tried to capture the town during the English civil war, not only because it was a successful trading centre but because of the extensive arsenal held here. Hull castle and artillery forts (known as blockhouses) were incorporated into this late-17th century triangular citadel. Daniel Defoe commented: "King Charles II on occasion of the frequent Dutch Wars ... resolved to make the place strong, in proportion to the necessity of those affairs; upon which a large citadel was marked out on the other side the river; but was never finished." The watch tower is the only surviving part of the building; the rest having been demolished in the 19th century.