A View of Rosedoe on Lochlomond
Artist: Riddell, Robert Andrew
Medium: Aquatint, coloured
The Gaelic ‘ros dubh’ translates as ‘Black headland’, and on a hill on the banks Loch Lomond is the seat of the Colquhoun family, Rossdhu House- which can be seen to the middle right of this print. It was built in 1772 by James Colquhoun, to replace a castle which had stood on the site since 1457; built by Sir John Colquhoun, the 11th Colquhoun of Luss. It is probable that the architect John Baxter designed the house. Rossdhu House was enlarged in the 19th century by Sir James Colquhoun. Two wings were added as well as a grand portico built from stone from the old castle. Internally the house has been lavishly decorated and rooms include a great hall, dinning room, 2 drawing rooms and a library.