A View of the Castle of Glammiss from the North East
Artist: Elphinstone, John
Medium: Ink on paper
View of Glamis Castle in Tayside, Scotland. Glamis Castle has been the home of the Earls of Strathmore and Kinghorne since 1372 when Sir John Lyon married King Robert II of Scotland’s daughter Joanna. Lyon, who was the King’s Keeper of the Privy Seal, was created Thame of Glamis and was granted considerable lands on which the castle was built. Originally Glamis Castle was a four storey tower house with battlements however in the 17th century it was restructured; the tower was heightened and roofed and two wings were added. In 1767 the 9th Earl of Glamis married Mary Eleanor Bowes and the family name changed to Bowes-Lyon. The castle was the childhood home of the late Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother.