A View of the Castle of Glanmiss to the North West
Artist: Elphinstone, John
Medium: Ink on paper
View of Glamis Castle in Scotland by John Elphinstone (1706 – 1753), military engineer and topographer. The Castle was originally a royal hunting lodge owned by the Scottish crown. In 1372 King Robert II gave the estate to Sir John Lyon of Forteviot when he married Joanna, the King’s daughter. Originally the lodge would have been comprised of a number of out buildings enclosed by a wooden palisade and surrounded by a moat. There have been many changes to the castle’s appearance- first stone castle was built in the early 15th century and in approximately 1435 a tower and surrounding wall were added. In the 17th century the West wing was built as well as a chapel. In the 18th century the West wing was demolished and rebuilt in a more elaborate and ornate style.