A Perspective of the Castle of Stirling on the side attacked by the Rebels
Artist: Elphinstone, John
Medium: Ink on paper
Drawing of Stirling Castle by John Elphinestone, dated 1746. The various sections of the castle are clearly marked and identified in a key to the top left. The French Spur (marked as B) was originally built in 1559 by Mary of Guise, the widow of King James V, when she was Regent to her daughter Mary Queen of Scots. The French Spur was an artillery projection, from which the eastern and southern sides of the castle could be protected. The Great Hall (marked as F- Parliament House) was built by James IV in the early 16th century. It was the largest ever built in Scotland and measured 138ft by 47ft.