A Drawn Elevation of the Front of Dublin Castle
Medium: Ink on paper
Plan of the front of Dublin Castle, Ireland. In 1204 King John of England commanded that a strong castle be built in Dublin for the defence of the city, administration of justice and safe custody of treasure. The building was completed by 1230 and the castle had thick walls, a wide moat and was enclosed by a wall with four sides and a round tower on each corner, but there was no keep. The castle was the centre of the English power in Ireland for over seven centuries until 1922 when it was handed over to the Irish Free State. At different times in it’s history the castle served as the viceroy’s residence, the government offices, the exchequer, the mint, an arsenal, a barracks and a prison.