Abbey near Cashel
View of Hore Abbey, near Cashel, in Ireland. Hore Abbey was founded in 1272 at the instigation of the Archbishop of Cashel, David McCarville. It was the last Cistercian monastery to open in Ireland before the Reformation. Unusually the cloister is located to the north of the church. After the monastery was dissolved in 1540, the building and the land passed to James Butler, Earl of Ormond who lived here but after this time it fell into disuse. When Austen Cooper visited the Abby in 1781, it was already a ruin, he described it thus,
‘The steeple is large, about 20ft square withinside and supported by two fine arches about 30ft high- the inside is supported by a variety of Ogives from each angle, some meeting in an octagon in the centre, and others at the key stones of the vault. The upper part is entirely open…’.