A North View of the Rock of Gibraltar from the Spanish Lines
Engraver: Malton Junr., T.
Medium: Aquatint, coloured
A north view of the harbour at Gibraltar with several ships anchored. The town defences can be seen: thick stone walls holding numerous canon facing out to sea. Behind the harbour defences the town rises up the hill and in the background is the Rock. This view was taken in 1782, during the Great Siege of Gibraltar by a Spanish force which lasted between 1779 and 1783. The British garrison was blockaded in the fortress by the Spanish ships while they built extensive works from which to shell the fortress. The garrison had to survive disease, bombardment and potential starvation, although, it was periodically relieved by merchant conveys arriving under the wing of British battleships. The siege ended in February 1783, when a truce was agreed between Britain and Spain and her ally France.