A South Prospect of the Flourishing City of New York in the Province of New York in America 1746
Artist: Harris, T.
Medium: Ink on paper
View of the city of New York in America. The land was discovered in 1524, was settled by the Dutch in 1624 and was named New Amsterdam. It became a trading post of the Dutch West India Company. In 1664 the colony was surrendered to British forces and was renamed New York after James Duke of York (1633-1701), brother to King Charles II, who had been granted the lands. The city is situated at the mouth of the Hudson River and by 1790 it had developed into the largest city in America and was the state capital until 1797.