A View of Ticonderoga from the Middle of the Channel in Lake Champlain
Artist: Hunter, James
View of Triconderoga in Essex County, New York, America. A fort was built here in the 18th century. The fort is situated on ‘The Narrows’ where Lake George empties into Lake Champlain. The Narrows were the only navigable route between Canada and the Colonies and so the fort was strategically very important. The fort was built in 1755 by the French army and was named Fort Carillon- a name which was derived from the musical sounds of a waterfall nearby. The engineer responsible was Lieutenant Michel Chartier whose design included walls made from think oak timbers and filled with dirt and rubble. In 1757 the outer walls of the fort were reinforced with stone to make it stronger. In 1759 the British army captured the fort after a four day siege. In 1775 during the American Revolutionary war the fort was seized by American forces but it was abandoned in 1777. In October of that year (from when this print dates) British troops again occupied the fort.