A View of Ticonderoga from a Point on the North Shore of Lake Champlain
Artist: Hunter, James
View of British troops at Ticonderoga in New York, America. The fort here in Ticonderoga was strategically very important because it is situated on ‘The Narrows’, a point between Lake Champion and Lake George. Those who controlled the fort controlled the only route between the Colonies and Canada. The fort was built between 1755-58 by French forces and was known as Fort Carillon. In 1759 British forces, led by General Amherst captured the fort and it was renamed Fort Ticonderoga. The name "Ticonderoga" comes from a Native American word meaning ‘the place between two waters’. In 1775 the fort became the site of the first victory for American forces during the Revolutionary War when a garrison of just twenty two British soldiers was surprised by a small force of Americans known as the green Mountain Boys. In 1777 the British recaptured the fort, occupying it for a year.