A Correct View of the Theatre at Philadelphia
Artist: A. P.
View of the New Theatre on Chestnut Street in Philadelphia, America. Thomas Wignall commissioned the theatre in 1792 and it soon came to be known as the ‘Old Drury’. The architect was John Inigo Richards and the building was inspired by the Covent Garden theatre in London. Building work was delayed because of an outbreak of yellow fever and it was eventually completed in 1794. It was the grandest theatre built in North America and had an audience capacity of 1,165. Typical for the time the stage lighting was controlled by oil lamps that were raised and lowered to darken or brighten scenes. The theatre was remodelled in 1805 from designs of Benjamin Henry Latrobe. The theatre was destroyed by fire in 1820 and was rebuilt opening in 1822. It was demolished in 1856.